The Job's Mission
The Director, Government Affairs GSAP is responsible for leading all advocacy activities for GSAP with a primary focus on Germany, including lobbying of government stakeholders for policies to support Stryker’s mission and growth, influencing and leading industry associations, coalition building with third-party stakeholders and developing policy strategies for Germany. These strategies will be aligned with the European and company strategy and global government affairs.
This role will contribute to the coordinated European and global government affairs function in accordance with close collaboration with the Managing Director GSAP, the GSAP Leadership Team, the European and Corporate Government Affairs Team and other key partners in the businesses to expand Stryker’s Government Affairs function into the region.
What will you do:
Key Activities & Accountabilities
- Serve as the switchboard of Government Affairs (GA) operations and strategy, ensuring alignment, communication and collaboration within GSAP and to the European and Corporate GA functions.
- Build Stryker’s political network in Berlin through collaboration with the Country Manager and the local leadership team, building relationships, and identifying opportunities for collaboration and consensus in order to position Stryker as a resource and thought leader with key government policymakers and other policy stakeholders.
- Using political acumen and strategy, represent the company to senior policymakers and their staff members, industry association working groups, and other organizations involved in health policy.
- Assess policy proposals for risks and opportunities, in collaboration with internal subject matter experts, and develop a strategy for response, in coalition with trade association and other external partners where appropriate
- Liaison with Regulatory and Reimbursement/Market Access colleagues to determine opportunities, potential impact of new policies and develop complementary advocacy strategies as appropriate.
- Lead trade association engagement: identify priority gap areas in our participation and work with internal subject matter experts to cover gaps on an ongoing basis; coordinate and prepare executives for association board meetings; and, collaborate with industry and association colleagues to advance key initiatives.
- Establish and foster relationships with and engage stakeholders to create a network of external influencers for Stryker to partner with on key objectives
- Ensure alignment of GA strategy with business strategy and facilitate the identification and coverage of gaps, through close collaboration with the local leadership team, European and Corporate government affairs, and other functions.
- Coordinate and implement Divisional government affairs strategies, in partnership with key divisional colleagues.
- Work closely with Company’s communications teams to develop and refine internal and external messaging related to government affairs subjects in the region.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree and an MBA/Business Masters is desirable
- Proven track record in Government Affairs in a multinational medical device company.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills; strong cross-functional influencing skills;
- Strategic thinkers. Responsible individuals who excel at creating plans, goals and tactics that are aligned with business and marketing objectives.
- High achiever – Is creative & seeks at all times to deliver the best in an agreed timeframe
- Develops Talent – Builds the best teams and maximizes their development and impact. He/she values different backgrounds and thought to reach one’s potential, seeks feedback and accepts accountability to develop and grow
- Embody trust, integrity and ethics inside and outside the company
- Influential leaders. Sophisticated communicators who can easily interact and build relationships with international business leaders.
- Business experts. Knowledgeable partners who can make market-based, cost-effective and customer-focused decisions based on portfolio performances and who can create systems and processes that that positively impact Stryker’s business outcomes.