Government Affairs Officer, Germany
POSITION: Government Affairs Officer, Germany
LOCATION: Berlin preferred; other locations considered
Clean Air Task Force (CATF) is a non-profit global organization focused on driving the change in technologies and policies needed to get to a net zero carbon-emissions, high-energy planet at an affordable cost. CATF is highly respected for its deep expertise and research on energy and industrial systems and potential strategies, technologies, and policies that can radically shrink those systems’ impact on the planet’s atmosphere. Our team of experts and advocates (and global network of subject matter experts and civil society partners) put this research and knowledge into action by designing and enacting public policies that drive toward zero emissions. We also support policies and work directly with private industry to innovate in technology to make the path to zero emissions swift and affordable.
CATF is a global organization and has offices in the US and Europe, and operates globally through work with partners in Europe, Asia, Canada, Latin America, and in multilateral international forums ranging from the International Maritime Organization to the International Energy Agency to the Climate and Clean Air Coalition to the Responsible Steel Coalition. CATF is currently expanding its presence in Europe and seeks to strengthen its advocacy efforts through this hire. Current areas of focus include advancing zero carbon fuels such as hydrogen and ammonia, pushing for public policies to rein in methane pollution from the oil and gas sector both in the EU and from oil and gas, and commercializing carbon management technologies and CO2 infrastructure for industrial decarbonization and carbon removal. Other aspects may include and are not limited to transatlantic and international climate diplomacy as well as the global climate and energy transition impacts of energy imports. Learn more about our efforts here: https://www.catf.us/work/.
As CATF’s government affairs lead in Berlin, the Government Affairs Officer will work closely with European communications staff, project leaders and issue experts based in Europe and the United States, and European partner organizations to help develop and execute public policy campaign strategies in support of CATF’s program goals and objectives in Berlin.
Primary duties and responsibilities of this position:
- Strategy Development – With CATF’s global team, provide input on public policy advocacy strategies to support organizational goals and objectives in the region;
- Government relations – Connect, cultivate and enhance personal working relationships with key institutions, lawmakers, policymakers and policy influencers in Germany and the Laender.
- Track German federal and state-level climate and energy policy developments and intervention opportunities and link CATF technical and policy experts and consultants with policymakers as needed to support development and implementation of strong climate and energy policies;
- Policy Tracking – Stay informed about relevant policymaking efforts in Germany; systematically communicate updates to other CATF staff; and work collaboratively with the EU Government Affairs Director and the Program Directors and staff to ensure alignment of EU and member state policies
- Messaging – Provide input on CATF external positions for proactive announcements and reactive statements;
- Written Materials – Write and/or edit comment letters, fact sheets, and other material for advocacy meetings. Provide input on press statements, press releases, blogs and other written material for distribution to news media and/or posting on CATF website; Work collaboratively with the EU Communications Director and the Chief Marketing Officer
- ENGO Collaboration – Work with coalitions and individual NGO partners on external relations, help convene and broaden existing coalitions
- Fundraising – support fundraising and donor efforts as necessary
Skills/Experience/Education necessary for the position:
- Bachelor’s degree along with at least three years of successful experience in a substantially similar role;
- Background in German energy and climate policy and connections to German energy and climate policy makers, think tanks, NGOs and at the state level;
- Proficiency in German and English
- Agile and flexible self-starter able to work on multiple competing deadlines and extending outside of usual work hours to accommodate team members in different time zones;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Strong writing and editing skills;
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively to policymaker inquiries;
- Highly organized self-starter, entrepreneurial spirit essential.
- Passion for CATF’s mission.
COMPENSATION AND LOCATION:
This is a full-time, funding-dependent position. CATF offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.